Share |

Saturday, April 17, 2010

White Balance

In a wedding, most of the time the lighting of hotel ballrooms, restaurants are very warm in colour. It makes the photos very yellowish. The yellowish effect sometimes gives a very nice effect on the photos, but sadly to say, not all the time. The following 2 shots were taken in a restaurant.




The lighting there was totally warm. I was a 'strong believer' in taking photos without flash (I did not have an external flash). I thought the photos would be nicer without flash (Well, I admit that I did not know anything about flash at that moment). I refused to use the internal flash on camera because I really do not like the harsh effect on the objects.

I quite like the yellowish effect of these 2 photos. But I thought of giving it a try to adjust the colour of them. I used the 'Level Adjustment' tool in photoshop (Image -> Adjustments -> Levels) to play with the colours. I adjusted the Red/Green/Blue (RGB) channel separately (by selecting the colour in the Channel drop down menu).

In RGB mode, R channel is to adjust red and cyan; G channel is to adjust green and magneta; B channel is to adjust blue and yellow. So, to get a proper white balance image, I adjusted the blue channel of the images above to reduce the yellowish effect. I did some slight adjustments on the other channels too. Below are the end results after adjusting the colours.




Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/kcshashin/WeddingShots7Dec2008

No comments:

Post a Comment